Date of Estb.: 1956
University of Kashmir, Srinagar
Hazratbal, Srinagar , Jammu Kashmir - 190006
PHONE No.: 0194 227209, 2272097
WEB SITE: www.kashmiruniversity.net
GENERAL HELPLINE NO.: 9899104337
MBA - Master of Business Administration
M Com - Masters of Commerce
MFC - Master of Finance and Control
M Ed - Masters of Education
B Ed - Bachelor of Education
PG Diploma in Adult & Non-formal
University in Jammu Kashmir
Situated at Hazratbal, an idyllic area on the western side of the fabulous Dal Lake of Srinagar and held in veneration by the Muslims for the beautiful mosque that enshrines the holy hair of Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him), the University of Kashmir is spread over 263 acres of lush green land with three adjacent campuses of exquisite beauty, Amar Singh Bagh, Naseem Bagh and Mirza Bagh. Amar Singh Bagh is located on the bank of the Dal having on its other three sides a background of mountainous amphitheatre rising to a great height above its crystal clear water. Naseem Bagh, or the garden of breezes", laid originally by Emperor Akbar, is a magnificient grove of chinar trees, facing the artificially formed island, Sona Lank or the Golden Island, in the centre of the northern portion of the Dal. Mirza Bagh, now the "University Town", housing the residential quarters for the teaching and non-teaching staff of the University, is situated on the bank of the famous, Nageen Lake. The unique combination of lake and mountain scenery, and the impressive calm and serene ambience provide a highly congenial atmosphere for the philosopher's contemplation and the scientist's research.
The University arose out of humble origins immediately after Independence when in 1948 the State Government established an institute for conduct of examinations with its headquarters at Srinagar, Justice J. N. Wazir being its Honorary Vice-Chancellor. This was followed by a noble effort by the authorities to revive the old tradition of learning and teaching, an essential feature of ancient Kashmir, through the establishment of three postgraduate departments in 1956 - English at Srinagar, and Economics and Geology at Jammu. Thus came into being a full-fledged University, then christerned the University of Jammu and Kashmir, with Mr. A. A. Fyzee as its first whole-time Vice-Chancellor. The University was shifted to the present campus, known as Amar Singh Bagh, when the land was donated by Dr. Karan Singh, the second Chancellor of the University. A lay-out plan was prepared by Mr. Fayaz-ud-Din, Chief Town Planner from what is now Andhra Pradesh and Mr. G. B. Mhatra, an eminent architect of Bombay. With financial assistance provided by the University Grants Commission and the State Government, a series of construction works began at the Campus in 1959, with the foundation stone laid for the Arts Faculty Block by Bakhshi Ghulam Mohammad, the then Prime Minister of the State, on 5 June 1959. The Faculty was commissioned on 1 August 1960 by Dr. S. Radhakrishnan, the then Vice-President of the country.
NOTE: The information given is the best of our knowledge collected from various sources for the benefit of the students, if any correction needed or removal of the information completely please write email at firstname.lastname@example.org